Tuesday 16 April 2013

1:35 scale SAS Land Rover

I bought this SAS Pink Panther model at the same time as the SAS jeep kit. When I came to build this though I couldn't bear the idea of painting it pink - so I decided on a desert theme again.

The kit comes with some detail that I chose to change - there are rifle holders that mount on the front wing panels, and a bulky thing that hangs off the back.  I didn't like those, so they got left off - however I did cut down and re-mount one of the rifle holders on the driver's side, which I put an AK47 in.

The kit comes with just the driver, so I made up a pal to ride in the back.  The bulk of that figure was made from the Afrika Corps radio operator kit - I changed the pose of one leg, and one arm, and added a head from an Eastern European soldier because it was wearing a beret.

I have added a lot of extra detail - jerry cans in the back, kit bags and packs, some landmines (no doubt poached from American troops at some point) and extra tools - pick axe, sledge hammer and axe.

I love adding extra detail - chains, towing cables, ropes - and I try and think, if I were out there, what would I have - a few grenades, extra water bottles, an oil can.

I really enjoyed making this one - more than I thought I would.  I think the enjoyment comes from taking a standard kit and adding my own uniqueness to it.  It might not be 100% accurate, but I think it's close enough.






No comments:

Post a Comment