Tuesday 25 June 2013

Weathering

I've been watching more tutorials on You Tube - these are all about weathering vehicles, and reading TankArt by Michael Rinaldi.

So, today I bought some plaster of Paris, hairspray, acrylics, toothpicks and cotton buds.

Next I resurrected the M113 I bought for the figures and desk - hacked off all the reusable parts like towing hausers, axe, sledgehammer etc, and butchered the bodywork to my hearts content.

The purpose is to practice my weathering techniques.  Mud spatters (acrylics and plaster flicked with toothbrush) mud build-up (pva glue and crushed chalks used as pigments dabbed into wheel wells etc), chipping (hence the hairspray) and streaking.

See the tutorials here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RckNMlvyjKo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gU01ZSgC9mo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hu3f-Jmf_
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyBsuK-M

These are excellent and go into great detail.







By mixing a little acrylic burnt umber with water and plaster of paris to a sloppy mixture, dabbing in an old toothbrush and dragging a thumb across the bristles to flick the mud-like paste across the vehicle.

It was hard to tell how much to add.  I've definitely overdone this!

Below shows some base grey and rust coloured paints.  Over this went two light coats of ordinary hairspray. Over the top of this goes the top coat, and when dry small sections are wetted and scrubbed with a toothbrush the hairspray dissolves revealing the paints underneath - this is a chipping technique.




Next I put a top coat and brushed off some with a toothbrush dipped in water to reveal the paint below.
This didn't come out as I wanted it to - and was a lot of scrubbing for a little reveal.



Again way too much mud splash!

I added some camo netting...



...which I made from these:



A normal dishcloth, soaked in PVA glue, painted in greens and browns, with the fake coarse turf added in patches.  Cut to size and draped over the vehicle and allowed to dry.

Finally, after adding some streaks or grime, build up of grime, decals, rust streaks and patches and some final painting details, here's the finished vehicle.











No comments:

Post a Comment